Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Even the doll doctor can learn a thing or two

Wow.  I can't believe it has been over 5 months since I posted!  As I have grown older, the reality of the expression 'time flies' has grown increasingly - and uncomfortably - present.  It just amazes me.  I get up each day thinking, 'I should post to my blogs', and then the day rushes by and - ZAP! half a year is gone.

Anyhow, this is not an update on past projects, but just a moment to share something fun from the doll world.  My husband has a consignment shop and I do the online listing for EBay, Etsy, etc.  Every so many weeks or months I get a batch of dolls to list.  This time there were several composition mama dolls, a good many foreign souvenier dolls, a few Duchess and Hollywood - and this pair. 


Whenever my husband hands me a vintage cloth doll, I know I am in for an interesting time.  My speciality is antique and vintage bisque dolls.  Along the way, over twenty plus years of restoring dolls - and reading about them - I have picked up information about vintage composition and plastic as well.  I have Lencis, so I know about them, and I have several reference books on cloth dolls. but - and it is a BIG but - I do not know enough to distinguish between a well-made homemade set of Raggedys and original hand manufactured ones.  So, when I go this pair, I put them up on EBay at a reasonable price and waited....

And boy, was I surprised!  Apparently this pair consist of an original Volland Raggedy Ann and Andy.  I talked with bidders from around the world about them, and it is odd that Ann does not have a little wooden heart in her chest.  Still, all seemed to believe the pair original.  According to Gayle Garbarino whose blog can be found at http://www.notsoraggedyacre.com/volland.htm   the P.F. Volland company created and published greeting cards and children's books including Johnny Gruelle's books featuring Raggedy Ann and Andy.  In August 1915 Gruelle signed a contract with Volland for his book Raggedy Ann Stories.  In September of the same year Gruelle received the patent for the dolls.  I have looked at the blogs and books and am still scratching my head.  I can't seem to tell the homemade from the handmade from the early manufactured Raggedys.

Just goes to show you there is always something new you can learn!

Anyhow, I thought I would share some photos of these two who went to very nice bidder in Wisconsin for a tidy little sum.  She has them now and is enjoying their company. 

 

I do have a few repair projects going on  right now including two very large BJB bisque head dolls, a tin head, a newer china, and a BJB baby.  I will share photos and some info on them ASAP.  I also have a display of my dolls at a local cultural center and will be giving a talk on antique dolls there at the end of this month.  Information and photos will follow - soon, I promise!  For the moment, you can look at the Hayner's website and read a bit about it.  http://www.troyhayner.org/antiques-seminar.html

Would love to see some of you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment