Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Wax dolls


Ah, yes, one of the loves of my doll collecting life - but WAY out of my price range.  Until the internet, that is.  Of course, it's fortunate that I can repair dolls too....






Here is my most recent acquisition.  I purchased this little beauty on layaway from a very kind and helpful doll dealer named Carla on Ruby Lane.  Go to www.rubylane.com and check out her shop 'Oldeclectics'.  She has the most wonderful dolls, at reasonable prices, and is just a sweety.  

This wax or wax over (which I believe she is, though the wax coating is very thick and makes her appear to be a poured wax) is a fashion doll.  (Note the tiny waist.)  I am not certain yet whether she was meant to be a lady fashion or a child fashion doll.  More study is indicated.  At the moment I am going to dress her as an older child, say around 12 or so.  (And yes, the child fashion dolls had that teeny, tiny waist like their corset-wearing mommies.)  





She looks a bit like something out of a horror movie right now.  At least, that is what my granddaughter tells me!  The doll has sleep eyes, which came loose in transport and will have to be reset, and as you can see - no arms.  I purchase a china head body on EBay (sans head).  It had a lovely pair of leather arms, and I will eventually act like Dr. Frankenstein and take parts from both and put them together. Her body is finely made.  It is weighted so she can sit and pretty clean for its age, so it will require little work.  She even came with her little linen shoes that I am going to attempt to restore.  



 Her hair is going to be a challenge.  It is incised, or pressed into the wax and not a wig, and the original wired braids that went around the sides are still intact (if filthy!).  This is an indicator that this was a fine, more expensive doll such as those made bu English firms like Pierotti and Montonari, as the maker would not take the time to press the hair in unless they were going to make more money.  (Think today's retail!)  This is a wonderful thing - except it means that I have to clean the hair on the head!  You clean old mohair with lighter fluid or paint thinner.  Now, think about that - lighter fluid on a wax or wax covered head.  Yep, you can see the dilemma.  I know how I am going to tackle it and will document as I go along so you can see whether or not it works! 



Then, of course, the head itself has to be cleaned.  I have done some research on this and where one restoration artist swears by non-acetone nail polish cleaner, another shouts 'Don't use that!'  Woolite is recommended by one and nixed by another.  So is cold cream.   Hmmmm...we'll see.

Anyhow, enjoy the 'before' pictures.  Hopefully I will post some of the 'after' soon.  I am dying to have her completely restored!

No comments:

Post a Comment